WASHINGTON — Senator Mike Braun joined Senator J.D. Vance and Rep. Andy Biggs in sending a letter demanding answers behind a push from Sec. Mayorkas to grant mass parole for illegal aliens. This comes at a time when unlawful crossings remain at an all-time high and border protection resources are being depleted at record rates.
The lawmakers are also joined by their GOP colleagues Sens. Schmitt, Scott (R-FL), Hawley, Budd, Cruz, and Cassidy along with Reps. Babin, Tiffany, Harshbarger, Gaetz, Boebert, Crane, Greene, McClintock, Davidson, Cloud, Ogles, Buck, Rosendale, Banks, Bishop, Lesko, Norman, Burlison, Jackson, Gosar, Gooden, Weber, and Van Duyne.
The letter, which seeks answers to the lawmaker’s questions no later than January 23, 2023, mentions that Sec. Mayorkas claimed during his testimony before the House Judiciary Committee that parole “is judged on a case-by-case basis”, and therefore granting “mass-parole” to over 30,000 illegal individuals is “unlawful”.
Here are the questions from the Republican Senators and Representatives in the letter:
- From what source does DHS derive its legal authority to parole more than 30,000 monthly migrants into the United States?
- From what source does DHS derive its legal authority to parole migrants before they reach the United States border?
- Will the migrants paroled pursuant to this policy be transported into the United States using federal funds?
- How does this policy “enhance border security”?
- Under what criteria were the countries Cuba, Haiti, and Nicaragua selected for this program?